Monday, February 13, 2017

I was in The Worst Movie Ever Made

My name is Jackey Neyman Jones and I was in “The Worst Movie Ever Made”.  
I am not only one of the last surviving actors of Manos: The Hands Of Fate , but the only one willing to talk about it,  living in the belief that if I can’t be the best, I’ll make the best from the worst. 
I played Debbie, the child star of Manos.  My dad Tom Neyman played the lead role of The Master and   was Creative Director, making all the props and artwork while mom designed and sewed the iconic Masters Robe along with the wrestling wives ethereal gauzy gowns.  Our family pet, Shanka the Doberman was cast a role as The Master’s evil dog.  Even Great Grandma’s handmade quilt made an appearance on the bed, making it truly a family film to me.
Manos: The Hands of Fate is a 1966 El Paso, Texas horror movie written directed and produced by Harold Warren and often taught in film classes as “Everything Not to do in filmmaking”.  From the camera work, editing, direction, script, acting and nearly everything else, it is one of the most notably inept films in existence and yet it’s certain charm has not only captured but held a fervent fan base since a public debut on Mystery Science Theater 3000 in 1993.   Since then, Manos has inspired a wide range of talented projects including but certainly not limited to a Portland Oregon parody stage production, a Seattle Washington Puppet show “Manos The Hands of Felt, video games, two coloring books, a remastered version of the original, a prequel, and a sequel.
While November 15th 2016 marked the 50th anniversary of the disastrous premiere, a week later on November 23rd  , Manos was named the Fan Favorite of All Time  by MST3k hosts Joel Hodgson and Jonah Ray on their Annual Turkey Day Awards Marathon show. 
 I have lovingly tended to the flame of Manos for years through online connections to fans, Manos related creative projects and now my new book, Growing up with Manos The Hands of Fate with foreword written by Joel Hodgson creator of MST3K.  I also make public appearances at film festivals, conventions, book signings and screenings of the remastered version of Manos: The Hands of Fate where I share my personal memories with reminiscences of the cast and crew, telling behind-the-scenes story of Manos – from producer/director Hal Warren’s alleged bet with TV producer Stirling Silliphant that “anyone could make a movie,” to the tragic suicide of actor John Reynolds, who played Torgo, right up through the newest Manos-related projects that are carrying the film into the Internet age.  I share the story of how the original workprint was discovered and transformed to the remastered HD Blu-ray of the film.  How a Kickstarter funded indie sequel Manos Returns, produced, directed and written by women is bridging the male centric Manos of the 60’s with current fans and culture in a story that is relevant today.   I debunk myths (no, a Manos curse didn’t kill all the actors, despite the claims in the Hotel Torgo documentary), and share related pop culture facts (I also appeared as an extra in another MST3K film, “The Curse of Bigfoot”).
I am currently seeking new opportunities to share Manos with fans in various venues and at a range of events.  If this sounds interesting and if you know an event where I would be a good fit, please let me know.  Maybe I can come visit with you and Manos: The Hands of Fate fans in your area.


Appearances
·         The Blue Mouse Theater   Tacoma Washington   December 2016
·         Comics Dungeon   Seattle Washington   December 2016
·         The Chicago Music Box Theater   Chicago, Illinois   November 2016
·         Bucket O Blood Bookstore   Chicago, Illinois   November 2016
·         Crypticon   Seattle Washington   May 2016
·         Seattle Independent Film Festival   Seattle Washington   August 2013
·          El Paso Classic Film Festival   El Paso Texas   August 2011
·         Hollywood Independent Film Festival  Hollywood California December 2011   

Press

 Jackey Neyman Jones
Voice or Text  (503) 559-6291


No comments:

Post a Comment